- Over 1.5 million views across two youtube channels
- Nominated for a Killam Doctoral Scholarship at the University of British Columbia (decision expected 2020)
Teaching Assistant ❖ University of British Columbia ❖ Kelowna, BC, Canada ❖ 2017-2019
- Taught introduction statistics, using R and Python for graphing and statistical analysis
- Managed a relational database for chemical and biological inventory
Lab Manager ❖ University of British Columbia ❖ Kelowna, BC, Canada ❖ 2017-2019
Teacher ❖ Hope Secondary ❖ Hope, BC, Canada ❖ 2015-2016
- Designed and taught problem-based curriculum for Biology 11 and Biology 12
- Implemented modern scientific literacy into curriculum
- Co-managed special education department, focusing on improving student’s academic and life skills
- Designed individualized education plans (IEPs) for students, and implemented them into their yearly curriculum
Teacher ❖ Flying Colours Learning Centre ❖ New Westminster, BC, Canada ❖ 2014-2015
- Provided supplementary support to students completing their post-secondary degree
- Designed and facilitated curriculum for grade 8 through second year university students, including advanced placement (AP), honours, international baccalaureate (IB), english as a second language (ESL) students, and students with documented learning disability
Teacher ❖ Cariboo High School ❖ New Westminster, BC, Canada ❖ 2014
- Taught Science 8, Science 10, Biology 11, and AP Biology 11 with 32 students
- Coordinated with special education staff to appropriately support and assess students with individualized education plans (IEPs)
- Engaged students with creative self-designed projects and labs focus on utilizing new media and creativity
Project Development ❖ Overmined Entertainment ❖ Vancouver, BC, Canada ❖ 2010-2015
- Organized and coordinated a team of 9 people for filming events
- Interacted with and organized large capacity events for underage persons
- Created and maintained official website and social media of company
- Delegated with clients to produce desired photography, cinematography and audio branding
Teacher ❖ Oxford Learning ❖ Coquitlam, BC, Canada ❖ 2012-2014
- Taught grades eight through twelve biology, physics, chemistry, mathematics, and English
- Taught over two dozen students each school year
- Focused on relating current learning to their university and college educational interests
- Adapted lesson plans to each student’s individual learning profile and preferences
Online Tutor And Teaching Assistant ❖ Douglas College ❖ New Westminster, BC, Canada ❖ 2010-2012
- Tutored all levels of grade and post-secondary school in science, mathematics, nursing and English
- Tutored over a four hundred different people, successfully helping them through their course
- Tutored students through many applications such as Microsoft Word, Skype, online Tablet PC conferencing, and Jing
- Taught PHYS 1110 temporarily and ran after class tutorial for PHYS 1110 under Kuros Gadareh
- Ran after class tutorial for MATH 1120 under Larry Tomboulian
Media Designer ❖ ScrewAttack LLC ❖ Fort Worth, Texas, USA ❖ 2009-2010
- Designed and coded physical, as well as digital, media for several DVD products, including Metal Gear Ben and Too Hot for the Internet
- Wenzel TJ, Gates EJ, Ranger AL, Klegeris A. (2020) Short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) alone or in combination regulate select immune functions of microglia-like cells. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. Accepted for publication of April 8th, 2020.
- Wenzel TJ, Kwong E, Bajwa E, Klegeris A. (2020). Resolution-associated molecular patterns (RAMPs) as endogenous regulators of glia functions in neuroinflammatory disease. C.N.S. Neurol. Disord. Drug Targets. Accepted for publication on March 8, 2020.
- Wenzel TJ, Bajwa E, Klegeris A. (2019). Cytochrome c can be released into extracellular space and modulate functions of human astrocytes in a toll-like receptor 4-dependent manner. B.B.A. – Gen. Subj. 1863 (11): 129400-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2019.07.009
- Leitner G, Wenzel TJ, Marshall N, Gates E, Klegeris A. (2019). Targeting toll-like receptor 4 to modulate neuroinflammation in central nervous system disorders. Expert Opin. Ther. Targets. 23 (10): 865-82. https://doi.org/10.1080/14728222.2019.1676416
- Pointer C, Wenzel TJ, Klegeris A. (2018). Extracellular cardiolipin regulates select immune functions of microglia and microglia-like cells. Brain Res. Bullet. 146: 153-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresbull.2019.01.002
- Wenzel TJ, Klegeris, A. (2018). Novel multi-target directed ligand-based strategies for reducing neuroinflammation in Alzheimer’s disease. Life Sci. 207: 314-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2018.06.025
- Doctorate of Philosophy – Biochemistry & Molecular Biology ❖ University of British Columbia ❖ Kelowna, BC, Canada ❖ 2017-present, expected graduation 2020
- Chemistry credits not used towards a degree ❖ University of the Fraser Valley ❖ Abbotsford, BC, Canada ❖ 2016
- Bachelors of Education – Curricular Development ❖ Simon Fraser University ❖ Burnaby, BC, Canada ❖ 2014
- Bachelors of Science – Biological sciences ❖ Simon Fraser University ❖ Burnaby, BC, Canada ❖ 2009-2013
- CRLA Level III: Master Certified Tutor ❖ Douglas College ❖ New Westminster, BC, Canada ❖ 2011
- Science credits used towards Bachelors of Science ❖ Douglas College ❖ New Westminster, BC, Canada ❖ 2009-2012
- Wenzel TJ, Ranger A, Klegeris A. (2019). Extracellular cardiolipin (CL) modulates microglial phagocytosis and cytokine secretion in a toll-like receptor (TLR) 4-dependent manner. 9th iDEAs. Okayama, Japan: Poster Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ, Bajwa E, Rheault MR, Klegeris A. (2019). Extracellular cytochrome c modulates astrocyte functions in a toll-like receptor (TLR) 4-dependent manner. AD/PD 2019. Lisbon, Portugal: Poster Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ. (2019). Probiotics reduce cytokine secretions, as well as claudin 5 loss, induced by gut inflammation in vivo. Brown Bag Seminar. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Invited Oral Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ. (2019). Host-microbial interactions: symbiotic associated and normal flora. UBCO Biology 232: Human Infectious Disease. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Guest Lecture.
- Wenzel TJ. (2018). Research methods in pharmacology. UBCO Biochemistry 308: Pharmacology I. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Guest Lecture.
- Wenzel TJ, Bajwa E, Rheault MR, Klegeris A. (2018). Extracellular cytochrome c modulates astrocytic phagocytosis and cytokine secretion in a toll-like receptor (TLR) 4-dependent manner. UBCO Biology Graduate Symposium 2018. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Poster Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ, Gustafsson E, Hurren H, Klegeris A. (2018). Generic problem-solving skills are distinct from the academic ability of students and could be developed through experiential learning. 14th Annual Learning Conference. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Oral Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ, Pointer C, Klegeris A. (2018). Extracellular cardiolipin modulates microglial phagocytosis and their cytokine secretion in a toll-like receptor (TLR) 4-dependent manner. 12th Annual Canadian Neuroscience Meeting. Vancouver, BC, Canada: Poster Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ. (2018). The pharmacology of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. UBCO Biochemistry 308: Pharmacology I. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Guest Lecture.
- Wenzel TJ, Edwards C, Klegeris A. (2017). Pro-inflammatory molecules released by activated microglia are not attenuated by individual short-chain fatty acids. UBCO Biology Graduate Symposium 2017. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Poster Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ, Hurren H, Klegeris A. (2017). Tutor-less problem-based learning: Effects on problem-solving skills in large science undergraduate classes. 13th Annual Learning Conference. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Poster Presentation.
- Wenzel TJ. (2017). The pathophysiology of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. UBCO Biochemistry 407: Biochemical Basis of Disease. Kelowna, BC, Canada: Guest Lecture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJeo-mxxUek
- Western blotting
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs)
- Primary human and murine glia (non-neuronal cell) extraction (e.g. microglia and astrocytes)
- Wide-field and confocal fluorescent microscopy
- Fluorescent immunostaining
- Molecular ligand-receptor docking in silico
- Statistical analysis with R
- Cell culturing (e.g. primary human cells, primary mouse cells, cell lines)
- Liquid-chromatography mass-spectrophotometry analysis
- Protein extraction from tissue and normalization (e.g. bicinchoninic acid assay and Bradford’s assay)
- Independent manuscript preparation
- Problem-based learning activities, culminating in a cumulative project
- Learning-objective oriented curriculum development
- Formative assesements and guided questioning
- Implementing interim and self-assessment into curriculum design
- Learning-objective oriented, balanced, summative assessments
- Learning-objective based grading
- 2020 ISN-JNC Flagship School Grant ❖ International Society of Neurochemistry/Journal of Neurochemistry ❖ 2020
- University Graduate Fellowship ❖ University of British Columbia ❖ Kelowna, BC, Canada ❖ 2018-2020
- Graduate Travel Grant ❖ University of British Columbia ❖ Kelowna, BC, Canada ❖ 2018-2019
- Irving K. Barber Transfer Scholarship ❖ Simon Fraser University ❖ Burnaby, BC, Canada ❖ 2011-2012
- Ken Caple Entrance Scholarship ❖ Simon Fraser University ❖ Burnaby, BC, Canada ❖ 2010-2011
- President’s Entrance Scholarship ❖ Douglas College ❖ New Westminster, BC, Canada ❖ 2009-2011
- Canadian Association of Neuroscience
- International Society for Neurochemistry